Periodontal Treatment Gettysburg
PERIODONTAL DISEASE & WHOLE BODY CONNECTION
Periodontal Treatment Dentist serving Gettysburg, Hanover, New Oxford, East Berlin, Littlestown, Emmitsburg, Taneytown & Surrounding
You love your smile. That’s why you take the time to brush regularly. Unfortunately, if you have periodontal disease, those measures aren’t enough to guarantee strong, healthy teeth and gums. When periodontitis strikes, it’s imperative to visit an experienced dentist immediately for periodontal treatment in Gettysburg.
What Is Periodontal Disease and What Are Its Symptoms?
Periodontal disease – commonly referred to as gum disease – is an infection of the areas in your mouth designed to hold your teeth in place: gums, teeth ligaments, alveolar bone and surrounding periodontal tissues. Bacteria begin by causing inflammation in your gums – gingivitis – and eventually lead to irreversible bone loss, ligament damage and loose or missing teeth.
At the onset, symptoms include:
- Bleeding, red or swollen gums
- Persistent pain in your gums
- Bad breath not eliminated by brushing
- Receding gums
As periodontal disease progresses, patients may also notice pus, loose teeth or spaces between their teeth.
Why a Prompt Visit Is Essential
Periodontal treatment is important because:
- Gingivitis is reversible in most people: Early detection lets us eliminate infection sources and protect connective tissues from damage.
- Gum disease causes dangerous complications: Serious periodontal infection can lead to a higher risk of birth complications and worsen diabetes, heart problems and respiratory diseases.
- Advanced periodontal infections require urgent treatment: Because alveolar bone and tooth ligaments do not grow back, damage is permanent. With periodontal treatment, we can halt disease progression before it’s too late.
Maintain a Healthy Smile With Personalized Treatment
Dr. Rita A. Tempel has extensive experience treating patients in all stages of periodontal disease. With a personalized treatment plan, we can safeguard your smile. Even if advanced infection has already resulted in the loss of some teeth, don’t lose hope. After controlling periodontal disease, we’re able to help many patients restore their smile with dental implants and other high-tech options.
It makes us happy to see you relaxed, pain free and excited every day. To learn more about our stellar periodontal treatment in Gettysburg and gentle ongoing patient care, request an appointment with Dr. Tempel at (717) 339-0033 or by using our online form.