Dr. Rita Antonini Tempel celebrates 25+ years of practicing dentistry. This includes three years of active duty in the Army Dental Corps and 13 years in her current practice located in Gettysburg, PA.
Since founding her Gettysburg office, Dr. Tempel has been recognized by the community and her peers with many awards:
- “Gettysburg’s Greatest” Dentist, Celebrate Gettysburg magazine readers, 2018
- “Pick of the County” Dentist, Gettysburg Times’ readers, 2013-2018
- Adams County Chamber of Commerce Award for Exemplary Service, 2011
- “Top Dentists” in both Susquehanna Style and Harrisburg Magazines, numerous years
- America’s Top Dentist, Consumer’s Research Council, 2005-2018
- Featured on TV show “Dream Weddings” for her cosmetic dentistry
Dr. Tempel is highly experienced in all phases of cosmetic, restorative and implant dentistry. Excellent comprehensive dentistry is her overall goal for each and every patient. This includes patient health, goals and the trust that is earned and built.
Dr. Tempel established her practice on a core mission: To deliver outstanding, high-quality dental care which is beautiful, comfortable and long-lasting. Cosmetic Dentistry has long been her area of expertise; Dr. Tempel’s cosmetic dentistry sets her apart and it shows in her patients’ smiles. Patients rely on her experience and guidance, in deciding upon their smile design. As an active member of the American Academy of Cosmetic Dentistry, Dr. Tempel is currently an accreditation candidate working on becoming accredited by the American Board of Cosmetic Dentistry. This distinction has only been awarded to five dentists in the state of PA and less than 400 dentists internationally.
A new area of expertise is Dental Sleep Medicine. Dr. Tempel is passionate about patients’ health and providing comfortable solutions to the growing medical concern of sleep apnea. Dr. Tempel is a member of the American Academy of Dental Sleep Medicine and is enrolled in their mastery program. She works with patient’s physicians and sleep apnea specialists in our area to fabricate an oral appliance to assist in treating sleep apnea and as a alternative to the CPAP machine for patients.
Dr. Tempel is dedicated to continual learning in all phases of dentistry. She has completed hundreds of hours of continuing education and continues to learn and complete numerous hours of continuing education by attending monthly meetings, webinars and travels across the country for some of the best hands-on courses offered.
Active Professional Memberships
- American Academy of Cosmetic Dentistry, Accreditation Candidate
- American Academy of Dental Sleep Medicine, Qualified Sleep Dentist
- American Dental Association
- Pennsylvania Dental Association
- Academy of General Dentistry
Community Ties: Giving back to the Gettysburg and South Central PA community
- Dr. Tempel has helped victims of domestic violence through the AACD charity “Give Back a Smile.”
- Since 2016, she has written a monthly dental column “Healthy Smiles” published by the Gettysburg Times to educate the community on dental and health topics.
- She also writes a monthly column for The Evening Sun, Hanover (since 2018).
- She has sponsored local community events such as The American Legion Walk for Veterans, Shining Stars Therapeutic Ministries’ events, the Linda Kranias Memorial 5K benefiting breast cancer research, and Adams County SPCA events.
- She continues to sponsor numerous community fundraisers requested by her patients.
- Dr. Tempel is a member of the Gettysburg Adams Chamber of Commerce; in 2011, she received the Chamber’s Exemplary Service Award.
- Dr. Tempel is also a member of the Better Business Bureau and has maintained an A+ rating since joining.
Dr. Tempel’s Academics and Military Service
- Doctor of Dental Surgery, University of Maryland School of Dentistry 1993
- Bachelor of Science in Biology, Albright College 1989
- Mastery Track Program, AADSM, 2018-2019
- Member, Gorgas Odontological Honorary Society
- Gamma Pi Delta Prosthodontic Honor Society; elected President
- American Association of Women Dentists Award for the Outstanding Woman Dentist in Leadership and Academic Excellence
- Three years active duty, U.S. Army Dental Corps at Ft. Meade, Maryland and Ft. Carson, Colorado
- Medals of Commendation, U.S. Army
- Achievement Awards, U.S. Army
Dr. Rita Tempel and her husband have been married for 25 years. Her husband is an oral maxillofacial surgeon at Adams Oral Surgery, Hanover/Gettysburg. They have two sons, both of whom graduated from Gettysburg Area High School. The oldest son graduated from Pittsburgh Institute of Aeronautics and currently works locally as a helicopter mechanic; the younger son is currently attending Marywood University, studying architecture and playing college baseball. The Tempel family truly appreciates the rural lifestyle of Adams County. They enjoy fishing and traveling together. Gracie, the family’s Italian greyhound, rounds out the family.